Saturday, April 6, 2013

Conversational Games We Play


I like people who tell it like it is.  If they want to communicate something to you they come right out and say it without taking a detour through a tulip field. I admit there is a personality type that handles this better than some.  Those straight-shooters seem to have been born with the ability to say what they think and deliver it unemotionally, without sinister motives or destroying anyone in the process. Well, most of the time.

To be honest, I am not one of them.  Maybe that’s why I like them. You know, the old “opposites attract” syndrome.  Alas, I am one of those people who drive ME crazy.  At this point I should tell you an anecdotal story of how I have not said what I have said, or is it said what I did not say while saying something else?  You know what I mean. Instead, I will sacrifice making this about me.  Although I do love to talk about myself, this time I will forego being self-absorbed and choose someone else to expose!  See how nice I am?  

Victim, er, Example Number One: my husband.  Just this morning my husband needed information about a new doctor he was going to see and instead of simply asking his name, he asked, “Does he have a name?”  I looked at him.  “No honey, his parents didn’t think he needed one and it’s amazing he has gotten as far as he has in life without a name!”   Are names so private and personal we should be careful who knows what they are?  I am not being sarcastic, well, maybe a little.  But this is quite fascinating to me!

Example Number Two: people give you their opinion by slyly asking questions.  “Do you regret the way you handled your children in that situation?”  Sputter, gasp.  Obviously they think I should regret it!  They didn’t come right out and say it.  Are they being critical deep down inside? I don’t think so.  They want to encourage dialogue on something about which they have an opinion, but are afraid the other person will be offended.  So they don’t say what they want to say.

Sigh.  See my three fingers pointing back at me while pointing at them?

No comments:

Post a Comment